Police Incident: Derby University Footbridge
By: Dora Bumber – Head of Phantom Media.
Around 1800hrs last night, there was an incident in a small alley which leads to the pedestrian bridge to the University of Derby. According to the information disclosed by the Derbyshire Constabulary Press Office, there was an assault on a female University of Derby Student.
Phantom sources suggest that the student is currently undergoing hospital treatment while a 21-year-old man was arrested last night and remains in custody this afternoon.The University of Derby has made an appeal to all students to keep safe and have reassured staff, students and members of the public alike. that their security officers will continue conducting regular foot patrols around the campus.
The University of Derby has made an appeal to its staff, students and the public to keep safe and have reassured all, that University security officers will continue conducting regular foot patrols around the campus.
University has also provided advice on how to keep safe while travelling. Here are some of them:
1) Walk confidently and be aware of what’s going on around you at all times
2) If you’re planning to go on a night out, make sure you know how you’re getting home before you go out. Book a taxi or make an arrangement with a friend to get home together.
3) Ensure your bags remain closed, zipped up and buckled. Be extra careful with rucksacks. If someone grabs it, let it go. It can be replaced.
4) Have your house keys before you reach the door – and carry them in your pockets!
5) If you suspect you’re being followed, cross the road to see if they follow. If they do, go to a pub or a shop to call a mate or police.
6) If you live in halls, do not let strangers in.
Anyone with information regarding this incident, or anyone who was in the area at the time, should call police on 101, quoting crime reference number 3976/16, or anonymously call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Philip Gordon Cowburn, Phantom Media’s Head of News said; “The Phantom News Team would like to express their deepest sympathies to all affected by this incident. As well as amplifying the fact that a citizen of the United Kingdom is Innocent until Proven Guilty in a Court of Law.”
“A man who is suspected of assaulting a woman near the University of Derby on Wednesday January 27 has been charged with three offences. Joshua Potts (21) of Green Lane in Derby is due to appear at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court today (Friday January 29) charged with the attempted rape of a woman, sexual assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.” (Credit: Derbyshire Constabulary Press Office)